Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: (GUEST POST) - Oriental Salad

This is a guest post by my fabulous foodie friend and co-mom Joyce Cunningham of Pthirty1.  A thirty-something, happily married, entrepreneur, blogger , accountant and working mother of 6 beautiful children (ages 10 months to 21 years). Her passions are faith, family, food, fashion, flying and fun – all with a touch of frugality. As a self-certified foodie, she loves to cook, explore new restaurants, cuisines, cooking styles, cookbooks, recipes, etc.  Additionally, an avid DIYer that loves to sew, craft, build, fix and create at home, for the home, family, friends and anything or anyone in need.
 
When trying to figure out different dishes for family fun or upcoming events its easy to draw a blank.  Be sure to try this one, I guarantee you, your family and friends will enjoy it. *Toodles*
 
~
 
I always promote how much of a foodie I am and that I’ll eat just about anything at least once, but I have a secret to tell you. There are certain foods I just absolutely hate…despise even!  Cole slaw is one of them. I don’t know what happened in my childhood that scarred me from eating cole slaw for life, but I simply won’t touch the stuff. I’ve never attempted to make it myself and I always skip it if it’s offered elsewhere.
 
The problem with my distaste for cole slaw is my love for entertaining. I absolutely loooove having folks over and feeding them something so scrumptious they won’t leave without the recipe. Well, naturally, at any summer BBQ, people expect certain staples with their grilled bites. Cole slaw, my friends, is one of them. You see my dilemma?
 
So this recipe came about as an alternative to that wretched, loathsome, cole slaw I refuse to serve at my home. It is made with a vegetable I love – broccoli – and it’s so flexible as a recipe. You can make it savory as is or sweeten it up or even make it “savorier” (yep, I just made that up) ;).

Every time I serve this, I’m always asked for the recipe. My 12 year old loves it so much, she’s learned to make it herself. She loves to take it to school for lunch.  Substituting the sugar with splenda or stevia makes this a healthier choice, but either way , it doesn’t substitute on taste. This slaw is YUMAZING! Enjoy!
 


You will need:
2 pkgs broccoli slaw
1 pkg broccoli, chopped (or 1 small crown of fresh broccoli)
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds (I use Wonderful Almond Accents honey roasted)
½ bunch green onions, chopped
2 pkgs Ramen noodles, uncooked

Optional add-ins
1 cup bacon bits
1 cup dried cranberries

For vinaigrette:
¾ cup oil (I use canola)
½ cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
2 flavor packets from Ramen noodles

Directions:
1.       In a large bowl, mix slaw, broccoli, nuts, and onions. If using, mix in add-ins.
2.       Crush noodles over slaw and mix well.
3.       In a small bowl, mix vinaigrette ingredients well.
4.       About 1 hour before serving, pour vinaigrette over slaw and mix well (I mix this with my hands).
5.       Cover and chill until ready to serve.
6.       Enjoy! ;)

Sharon Patrice Simply Perfect Peace Events, Inc. and Designs by Shay, the Blog "My Journey, My Way, My LIFESTYLE ~ Celebrating Love, Laughter and Everything in Between..." You or your brand interested in a review? Getting married or having a social event and need assistance? Email Me For All Your Event Planning Needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!
"SimplyShay"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails