Not sure when to release the butterflies? They can be released in one of two ways, an individual release or a mass release. For the individual release, each butterfly is in a small, secured box and as the couple exits the ceremony site, each guests opens a box and releases a butterfly. For the mass release, the butterflies are held in a large box or container and when instructed, someone will open the box and all of the butterflies will be released. This is typically done by the bride and groom.
Butterflies can be ordered from a variety of companies. Here are a few possible places to order butterflies:
- Swallow Tails Farms – They offer monarch butterflies. While they recommend ordering as soon as possible, they are sometimes able to accommodate last minute orders.
- Amazing Butterflies – They offer monarch butterflies and painted ladies.
- Butterfly Release Company – They also offer monarch butterflies and painted ladies. Last minute orders are accepted.
Tips for Releasing Butterflies
- When you receive the package, replace the ice pack with a frozen one. This will keep the butterflies dormant.
- An hour before you want the butterflies to fly, take the boxes out of the insulated shipping box. This gives the butterflies time to wake up.
- When choosing the type of butterfly, know that painted ladies will linger after being released while monarchs will fly away quickly. However, the monarchs are twice the size of painted ladies.
Sharon Patrice Simply Perfect Peace Events, Inc. and Designs by Shay, the Blog "My Journey, My Way, My LIFESTYLE ~ Celebrating Love, Laughter and Everything in Between..." You or your brand interested in a review? Getting married or having a social event and need assistance? Email Me For All Your Event Planning Needs.