Monday, October 7, 2013

Motivational Monday: Motivating Yourself!

The process that initiates, guides and maintains goal-oriented behaviors is how Motivation is defined.  Motivation can be found in various places and amongst different people and circumstances.  Most recently, my motivation has come from deep within.  Research actually shows that you can influence your own level of motivation. Self motivating is essential to long-term success. Each week I am motivated to keep running because of the progress I have made thus far in my health, fitness and 5k training.  Each week I want to push harder to make new personal records. At the beginning of each week I set new goals to help fuel and motivate me. Without setting small goals our long term goal may suffer.

Goal is defined as the end toward which effort is directed. Goals must be SMART: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound. Without my goals I have no sense of progress; nothing to hold me accountable to or to be proud of.  
 
S.M.A.R.T goals can help improve chances of achievement. 
 
S- Be specific when you write your goals. This answers the Who, What, Where, When, and Why.
A general goal would be: Be Fit and Run a 5k. A specific goal would be: Complete 100,000 steps a week, buy a pair of running shoes and run a minimum of 3 days a week.

M- Make sure it is measurable. I am measuring my goal of running by logging my training into the My Fitness and Nike App app. It has all of my criteria from each run (mileage, pace, calories, etc.).

A- Is your goal attainable? Once you pin point the specifics ask yourself, can anything get in the way of my progress?

R- Most importantly, is your goal realistic? Are you willing and able to perform the task at hand? An unrealistic goal for me would be to run a 5k next week. This is neither physically nor mentally possible. Do not set yourself up for failure.

T- Lastly, time-frame. You must have a time frame so that you can map out a game plan. When I started training for my 5k I knew how much time I had in weeks and I found a training schedule that met this time line. If you do not have a time frame there is no sense of  progress or completion. Therefore, you are more than likely going to keep putting it off.
 
 
November 3, 2013 I will be completing my very 1st 5k!!!! - Self Motivation Rocks :)


Sharon Patrice Simply Perfect Peace Events, Inc. and Designs by Shay, the Blog "My Journey, My Way, My LIFESTYLE ~ Celebrating Love, Laughter and Everything in Between..." You or your brand interested in a review? Getting married or having a social event and need assistance? Email Me For All Your Event Planning Needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!
"SimplyShay"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails