Thursday, December 29, 2011

Kwanzaa: Day Three

Habari Gani (What's the news for today)  Happy Ujima! Day Three of Kwanzaa focuses on collective work and responsibility. It involves taking a vested interest in the well-being of our families and communities - "I am my brother's keeper".  It is a requirement that we work together in ways that benefit everyone. With this concept, the problems of our brothers and sisters must be our own problems and we must solve them together.

How do I practice this principle?  My sister and I have a non for profit called DITO (daughters in the open) where the goal is to encourage women of all ages to walk through their door of opportunity.  We have "nieces" meetings where we mentor young ladies and they are able to share their concerns in a confidential and safe environment...
Another way I give back to my community is to share my experiences on college recruitment and help young men in any way possible see their potential of higher learning through athletics while expressing the importance of being a STUDENT and good citizen first.

I am really amazed how each of these concepts of Kwanzaa actually builds upon the founding principle of the first day: Unity. What are you doing to practice these principles?



Sharon Patrice Simply Perfect Peace Events, Inc. You or your brand want coverage at an upcoming event? Getting married or having a social event and need assistance? Email Me For All Your Event Planning Needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!
"SimplyShay"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails